The Victorian State Government has granted a large sum of money towards keeping the Winton Supercars event for 2018 and 2019 as the track owners are looking at a camping option for track goers.
It was already confirmed last week, where Supercars confirmed that full 2018 calendar which saw the Winton SuperSprint has been allocated the May 18-20 date.
The Benalla Auto Club was granted a $200,000 sum for the 2017 event through Tourism Victoria, but the Winton owners have been given an extra $600,000 which they plan to boost crowd numbers and promote North-East Victoria.
BAC chief executive Chris Lewis-Williams said the funding was critical for the event’s success.
“Our core Supercar customers will always come, but what takes it from a good event to a great event is more people through the gate,” he said.
“We’re aiming to make it more of an experience. We’ve increased our corporate for 2017 over 2016, but we want to increase it once again.”
“We want to offer businesses in the North-East a Supercar experience that doesn’t cost Australian Grand Prix money. We will keep pushing the camping option.”
The Winton SuperSprint attract only 60,000 people across the three days, which is down from the previous year, but corporate and camping revenue was both up.
Supercars had granted Winton rounds in 2018 and 2019, but the additional funding from government was the missing piece in the puzzle.
Photo: Daniel Kalisz/Getty Images AsiaPac